Saturday, August 18, 2007

For Art's sake

They were a group of Cavite Artists who just made a courtesy call to the newly elected mayor, who, in turn referred them to me.

They wanted to gather together all the Cavite Artists to coordinate their works and eventually to give thier group a legal personality.

They wanted to know more about our town, Alfonso, because they realized lately that none of the new Alfonso home owners know anything about the community.

During the opening of their Art Exhibit they are inviting me to act as resource person to give them a backgrounder about the town.

In the course of our conversation we touched many important matters, a very interesting process of learning from each other.

I find it amusing that people come to me for anything about the community as if I am an authority on the matter. To be frank, I am not even a historian. I just happened to be interested in the history of our town. So, while I was waiting for the result then of my board exams I started talking to people specially the old folks who provided me with so many interesting data about the town that now I compiled into a book. This book have brought to me so many students from different universities. Researchers and other intellectuals also come to me seeking enlightenment about our town. The whole thing made me feel very good.

No comments: