Sunday, September 23, 2007

JUST COUGHING

I wish I am not experiencing incessant episodes of coughing but since I am, I'd rather find the positive effect of it. In the first place coughing is protective in nature. It is nature's way of expelling out foreign bodies invading the respiratory tract. It is the body's way of telling the person that something is wrong up there.

My coughing was triggered by the dust caused by so many tricycles along the road in front of our house when I accidentally inhaled too much. Added to it was the fine shower that caught me while walking on my way home. At first the coughing was mild but as days went by it got worse and more difficult specially when it was accompanied by musical wheezing. It disturbed my sleep, my professional duties as well as my sensibilities. There were times when I didn't know if I want more air or less ventilation, if I want it hot or I want it cold, if I need a blanket or not, if I should sit or lie down.

I begin to understand how my wife felt when she was experiencing coughing episodes herself. Now I can feel the difficulties encountered by asthmatic patients whom I thought to be overacting.

After several bottles of cough syrup I can now feel a little relief and strong hope that I will soon overcome this difficult experience. From now on I know I will be more understanding and more compassionate to other people's coughing. Experience is truly the best teacher and to be a good healer a doctor must experience being sick once in a while.

No comments: