Sunday, September 23, 2007

NOSTALGIA

God must be boiling something, somewhere. It was very hot anywhere I went. My head was terribly aching.I took analgesic and hypotensive to no avail.I didn't know where to go. This global warming was simply terrible.

I thought of the big Narra tree at the Church's plaza. I sat under it and felt a little relief. I looked around and saw evident signs of neglect.The weeds were widely growing and plastic of all kinds were littered all around.

My sentimental mind rolled back. To my right side where the municipal building stood shyly was the old "baraka" when I was a boy. It was not only a market place but also a multi-purpose hall for all community activities. The present basketball court used to be occupied by the "Dispensario", the equivalent of health center nowadays. There were big accacia trees lining the Mabini Street but were cut off when the road was widened in the late 40's.The last one in front of the convent was lately overthrown by a strong typhoon.

It was good to be young again strolling romantically in the boulevards of memories.Those were the days when there was no electricity and water supply in the community. We used ordinary oil and kerosene lamps. We fetched water from the brook. Children play happily during moonlighted nights.

Life then was simpler but more peaceful, more serene, more enjoyable. Nature provided most of the ordinary needs and people were happier. I closed my eyes and traveled back to my happy childhood in Alfonso. I was relieved of my headache as I felt calm and cold.

No comments: