Friday, September 14, 2007

KEEP RIGHT

I learned how to drive a car. I learned it too late, when my reflexes were already sluggish, when my eyes were already defective, when other drivers have turned dare-devils and unmindful of the rules.

Though I knew the basic of driving, I was afraid to drive. If ever, I would always be driving according to the rules but if all the other drivers around me were driving recklessly, disorderly and carelessly, I would be bumped all together from all sides.

In Nigeria, Africa, driving was most difficult, for there were no traffic lights as there were no traffic policemen nor traffic rules.

I envy all good drivers. I should have learned how to drive when I was younger, but those were the days when there were few cars and we didn't have one. We were too poor to pay a driving school and I thought there was nothing more embarrassing than being caught "driving without a car". I pity even those good drivers who were abusive on the wheels, those who were daringly offensive, those who drive as if they were destined to the graves.

In the village where I used to live many families have as much cars as there were members of the family. But it is regrettable to note that many members of those families would still be living if they didn't have that many cars.

They say driving is simple and yet I cannot do it, though of course, there are things I can do that many others can't. I drive my own destiny.

Keeping right is the rule not only for drivers but also for everyone to follow in his trip to eternal life. Come to think of it, if we follow the rule KEEP RIGHT, we are following the Ten Commandments.

No comments: