Sunday, September 9, 2007

R I N G S

Rings are circular objects worn around the fingers. They have different significance as there are different shapes and styles. They are also made up of different materials usually precious ones like gold or silver adorned with shiny expensive stones or symbolic figures.

The Pope's ring signifies authority and power handed from God to His earthly representative. A wedding ring is a symbol of continuity in relationship. Engagement ring means commitment, graduation ring is a mark of one's profession or calling.

A ring could also be a status symbol like the 24-karat gold ring worn by Middle East workers or the diamond-studded ring common among the rich and influential. There are uniform rings worn by members of an organization and there are rings adorned with miniature watches or rings serving as one decade of the Holy Rosary.

Some women fill their fingers with rings and they very seldom look good that way unless they are acting in a play. Some men do the same, thus exhibiting their insecurities in life.

I own a few rings that I wear on different occasions. My wedding ring, which I wear regularly, my college ring that I occasionally exchange with my "gulugod-pagong", a diamond-studded one gifted to me by my thoughtful wife. Lately I gave it to my daughter in exchange with "lapiz lasuli" that I am now wearing daily.

Without a ring a feel very empty. With it I feel the balance with the ring on one hand and the watch on the other. I ring gives me confidence.

No comments: